• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 507 posts
  • LocationOsaka

So, this is just a carry-over from the LBsP Omnibus thread. Basically it's a look at how to set up sackbots the player can choose to interact with, maybe something that can be used in Hub levels or RPGs, or wherever. It's something i've been tinkering with on and off for a while now, and i think i've got something that's [a] relatively simple, but [b] can be scaled up in terms of triggering different responses. But give it a look and see what you think? It's about 15minutes long.

You can find it over here.

Thanks as always, hope you get something out of this, and that you have a fine day!

• katanagirl1 likes this
Posted Image
時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
Watch me butcher monsters and the Japanese Language!
Community Levels first impressions - Roughly 15 Fresh!

LittleBlackadder

LittleBlackadder

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,908 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I am so impressed with your tutorial. It would be great if people who create levels that have interactive sackbot characters saw this to improve their levels.

Your tutorial went through everything and explained it very well.

I think people by now know that my own LBP logic is fairly basic to such an extent that until I saw your tutorial I didn't know that there was such a thing as "gameplay tweaker"

Gameplay tweaker! OMG  :D

Gameplay tweaker!  :D

I wish had known about that a long time ago. :Worried:

• katanagirl1 likes this

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ, USA
I'll have to catch the video later, it's getting late here and I'm on mobile

Sackbots do have lots of possibilities for interaction - I used them as Ratchet & Clank Gadgebots where you could command them to attack, wait, follow, enter (using tags and tag sensors and followers). I don't remember using a gameplay tweaker, though. I'm curious to see how that fits in.
:)
  • LittleBlackadder and waffle_king23 like this
Posted Image

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 507 posts
  • LocationOsaka

I'll have to catch the video later, it's getting late here and I'm on mobile

Sackbots do have lots of possibilities for interaction - I used them as Ratchet & Clank Gadgebots where you could command them to attack, wait, follow, enter (using tags and tag sensors and followers). I don't remember using a gameplay tweaker, though. I'm curious to see how that fits in.

It's really nothing too flash, just turning off the player's ability to grab when they're close to the sackbots. i have at times used the gameplay tweaker to make myself, Mei, or Frank invincible to some damage type when i've needed to use some hazard for decorative effect. Oh, yeah, i used it to keep them from drowning in the Marinara episode too.

• katanagirl1 likes this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,006 posts

This tutorial is well-done, it looks like you've incorporated everything you have learned so far about logic effectively!

The only thing I'd mention is that if you actually used this setup in a level, you would have to indicate to the player (via magic mouth subtitle or signs) that the R1 button is used to talk to the NPCs, since triangle is standard for LBP levels.

Posted Image

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 507 posts
  • LocationOsaka

This tutorial is well-done, it looks like you've incorporated everything you have learned so far about logic effectively!

The only thing I'd mention is that if you actually used this setup in a level, you would have to indicate to the player (via magic mouth subtitle or signs) that the R1 button is used to talk to the NPCs, since triangle is standard for LBP levels.

Thanks! i'm still coming along, but this was way easier than the first time i tried out something similar.

About the R1 bit, you're right enough. Though that's only if the creator decides to go that route. They could use any button really (i use Triangle to start up dialogue on the show, and was using O during the tutorial). i do think turning off grab when the player is close will probably make things look nicer.

• katanagirl1 likes this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,006 posts

Thanks! i'm still coming along, but this was way easier than the first time i tried out something similar.

About the R1 bit, you're right enough. Though that's only if the creator decides to go that route. They could use any button really (i use Triangle to start up dialogue on the show, and was using O during the tutorial). i do think turning off grab when the player is close will probably make things look nicer.
It would take less logic to just have it turned off all the time, either by using gameplay tweaker or just a material tweaker slapped on.
Same thing either way, just a matter of personal preference.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox