• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 528 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Ossu! So, as some of you know, i've been running the Roughly 15 Minutes Fresh community levels look-at series over on YouTube for about a year now. The original plan was to run it for a year and to think about whether i'd be renewing it for another year after that.

This is only partially about that.

So about six months in, i did a bonus episode where we looked at how the episodes were put together, and fielded a few questions that'd come up (not really as many of those as i'd hoped, but what can you do).

Anyway, i've just wrapped episode 42, which puts us at ten episodes left. Now ten weeks sounds like a goodly while, but it's not, not at all really. Over and done in a trice, to be honest.

Well, i figure i'll be doing a season end wrap-up bonus episode as well; not really sure what'll go in it, to be honest, since we've already covered the making-of stuff, which is where this topic comes in.

So, i'm wondering a few things, and hope you'll give me a heads up. Plus, anything else you'd like to know about.

1) How's the series gone for you (if you've been watching it)? Has it pointed you to levels you've enjoyed? Have the reviews matched your experiences in those levels you've played?

2) Has there been too much of something you're not interested in? Or not enough of something you are?

3) Have the reviews been fair, to your mind? And, perhaps more importantly, have they been consistent?

4) How's the technical side of things been? Audio and video clear? i think i've gotten most of those issues sorted, but if there's anything that needs improving, the sooner i know, the sooner it can be fixed.

5) Is there anything else that you'd like to know? In-world or out-? Questions unanswered? Plot points dropped? What's life as a geek in Japan like? Now's the chance to ask.

Note, none of this is connected to the series continuing or not, it's not interest-trawling (if i don't get 700subs, i have to quit! Whaa... Man, that style is the worst). However i decide to play things, LittleBite-sizedPlanet will still be around, so there'll still be reviews and the like coming down the pipe. This is more just a chance to find out what y'all are thinking, and getting a chance to talk back to you directly.

So, let me know, let me know. Episode 52 (and the bonus episode, natch) are scheduled for November 17th, so let's say the cut off for feedback can be....November 3rd? That'll give me enough time to put a goodly amount of thought into any real posers of questions.

Thanks as always, all of you! Have a great day, now!

• xerorogue, LittleBlackadder and katanagirl1 like this
Posted Image
時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
Watch me butcher monsters and the Japanese Language!
Community Levels first impressions - Roughly 15 Fresh!

xerorogue

xerorogue

Royal Sack

• Moderators
  • 3,960 posts
  • LocationTX

Just going to copy/paste from LBPC :)

1) How's the series gone for you (if you've been watching it)? Has it pointed you to levels you've enjoyed? Have the reviews matched your experiences in those levels you've played?

I've been enjoying the series greatly and hope you continue. I always queue the levels and though I don't play near as much as I used to, they are there waiting for when I hop on. 

2) Has there been too much of something you're not interested in? Or not enough of something you are?

Not really. I'm mainly a platformer type guy and don't go for films or survival levels but will play them if they sound interesting.

3) Have the reviews been fair, to your mind? And, perhaps more importantly, have they been consistent?

I believe the answer is yes to both.

4) How's the technical side of things been? Audio and video clear? i think i've gotten most of those issues sorted, but if there's anything that needs improving, the sooner i know, the sooner it can be fixed.

Sounds and looks good to me. 

5) Is there anything else that you'd like to know? In-world or out-? Questions unanswered? Plot points dropped? What's life as a geek in Japan like? Now's the chance to ask.

Can't really think of anything at the moment. I think you're doing a great job and hope you do continue. I know LBP is really really slow, as the "heydays" are pretty much over but having something like this...really helps the community to keep going. So a huge thank you to you my friend.

• LittleBlackadder, katanagirl1 and waffle_king23 like this

cN8xRl2.png

4CwzOsj.png86IDVYo.png

Follow me on the Twitter @bioswoop

At the end of the day it's just a game, so chill the ____ out.

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,013 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ, USA
Here are the ones for which I have responses:

1. I like your videos because I don't play but can still enjoy watching you play.
3. I think the reviews have been mostly fair, and as you continue to do them you have become more consistent and have more detailed examples to back up your ratings.

I like both of your series, but think that the shorter (BiteSized) one is great because it's less setup for you and easier to watch for me because it's shorter.

Like I said before, it's great that you focus on levels with few plays to help those struggling creators get some visibility to their levels. You should be the community manager for LBP becuause you do more for the game and the community than anyone else.
  • LittleBlackadder and waffle_king23 like this
Posted Image

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 528 posts
  • LocationOsaka
Thanks both of you! i wouldn't be able to keep this up (or keep improving it) without the feedback.

Although...being Community Manager...that kinda sounds like a curse, KG. Actually, come to think of it, i'm not 100% sure what they do when it come to the nuts and bolts.
  • katanagirl1 likes this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

LittleBlackadder

LittleBlackadder

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Questionair-thing, thingamabob, whatchamacallit, doovalacky

I have honestly enjoyed the series and look forward to it each week :D . I might not comment in LBN till a couple of days later but I see them the day they come out.

Sometimes I wonder whether people who have not followed the series from the start might wonder what's going on in the introduction section.

Unless you have followed the story/ saga/ adventure/ journey of you, Mei and Skullface, then it might be very confusing, and new youtube viewers might think that the video is just about what the introduction is about and not about actual LBP levels? (if that makes sense)

Perhaps future episodes might be more self contained with their own introductory story and not so much part of a series.

As I have said, I found the introduction stories great to follow with their clever, language, humour and storyline but new viewers might be very confused.

This has always been very well done. You are not only fair but also suggest how aspects or sections of levels could be improved. :P

Your videos began at a high standard and have continued to develop and become highly polished. You even use different music tracks for different parts of episodes. ;)

The picture in picture where you describe gameplay not included in the original gameplay or of previously show levels, is really good. :D

Not really.

It's up to you with what you are comfortable in sharing about yourself to a bunch of fairly anonymous LBN members and youtube watchers. :D

• katanagirl1 and waffle_king23 like this

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 528 posts
  • LocationOsaka
Thanks, addy! The point about the...what would you call it? Metastory? Is a really good one, though not one i'm totally sure how to address right now.
The original concept was basically MST3k for LBP, and it only just struck me that that had a theme song that basically explained everything viewers needed to know, and to just relax if something didn't make sense, because it really wasn't that important. Even the seasons 8-10, where they're going through space visiting different planets (nothing too familiar there! Don't look too closely!) gets handwaved pretty quick.

Maybe i need a theme song?

*thinks about it*

Yugh...that's probably not the answer.
  • LittleBlackadder and katanagirl1 like this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 528 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Ossu! Running into the last week here, or at least the recording for the last week; and i've been kicking a few ideas, thought i'd toss them up and see how folks feel.

So, first off i'm thinking of taking a 2week break after 052. The trade off there, is that i'm definitely wanting to go into another year. So, having a bit of a break makes for a kind of actual season structure as opposed to just a giant run of videos.

During that time, natch, i'll still be putting up LBsP episodes, so i'm not going anywhere. But a bit of decompression wouldn't be the worst thing, i think. It'll give me a bit of time to do a thorough cleaning of my account, dumping assets in a warehouse, deleting superfluous saved logic, that kind of thing. i'm hoping y'all don't mind.

Now, a few points/questions related to that (this is mostly quality of life stuff).

1) On LittleBigNetwork and LittleBigForum we've been running individual threads for R15F. i know that people have said it makes it easier to find things, but it also takes up a fair amount of real estate. i don't mind continuing that style, mind, as long as everyone (particularly mods and admins) are fine with it.

2) For Sackinima and LittleBigPlanetCentral, we've gone the reverse with omnibus threads. i imagine that's for the best, there, but would it be best to start a new thread for Season Two, or should i just keep up the Season One thread? Or would split threads be better (though i think Mateos on Sackinima said an omnibus was best for there).

3) This is super fiddly, but for the channel, would you rather see the playlist we have now continue, or a Season Two playlist started? If we did go for a new playlist, would you like the episode counter to be reset to 000, or to continue from 053. Like i said, it's fiddly, but i can see purpose for both sides.

As for the show itself, something i'm not really fired up over, but it is something that's crossed my mind. Of all the policies for the series, the one that i haven't wavered on has been to only feature any given creator once. The downside of that has been, i've not always grabbed any particular creator's best level. Would people be interested in a "soft reset?" Not that i want to run off and cherry pick from creator's we've looked at to easily put together set-lists for the first couple of episodes (honestly, i don't want to do that), but if one comes up searching, we could use it. i don't know, really, the more i think of it, the worse an idea it seems, but it's not a completely merit-less idea, and i thought i should throw it out.

So, let me know what y'all think yeah? Plus anything you'd like me to mention or answer in the post-mortem episode (052+).

Have a great day, and thanks, as always, for the support!

• LittleBlackadder likes this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

LittleBlackadder

LittleBlackadder

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I know nothing about youtube postings and how to list them but I think that continuing the next series from 053 would keep all your youtube videos together and in the same Waffleking LBP playlist.

Of all the policies for the series, the one that i haven't wavered on has been to only feature any given creator once. The downside of that has been, i've not always grabbed any particular creator's best level. Would people be interested in a "soft reset?"

I don't mind if some creator's are shown a couple of times. Sometimes you might find a great level that you would just love to include and it would be a shame if the only reason was that that creator had been in an episode ages ago. Some creators do various styles of levels and I would rather watch a great level or half-decent level than a real dud.

If you feel that you might need a break or change you could have a couple of different types of 15 minutes fresh episodes during the year such as

an episode in which all levels are themed on Christmas, Easter, Halloween, the sea, space, cardboard, a certain power-up, a season, bizarre/ quirky, etc.

or an episode which features great classic LBP1 levels and what made them so great e.g. Lockstitch, joebraesl, .... many more

or an episode of LBP2 great levels and creators and why these levels stand out e.g. Omier, Mrmik68, ... many more

or an extra-fresh episode featuring levels only created in the past month.

That's if you think you'd like to do something different occasionally to give you a break or if you come across some levels that you would like to group together.

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,013 posts
Great suggestions, LittleBlackadder!
:)
  • LittleBlackadder likes this
Posted Image

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 528 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Good points to noodle, Addy. i like the idea of some episodes having a theme. Way, way back we had that all alternate character episode; and then i promptly forgot all about it. Over on Sackinima Mateos had mentioned that LBsP does provide outlet for re-looking at creators. He wasn't advising against a soft reset on R15F, just kind of reminding me of my first principles.

As for the playlists, i kind of go both ways. Keeping just the one means they're all in one place, like you said. It also justifies having a three digit numbering system (it would take 19years and change to need four digits, so i think we're safe there). On the other hand, symbolically, a new playlist sets the content in its own season, so to speak. Knowing myself, i'll probably coin flip it at the last minute. Actually, that's a lie. Knowing myself, i'll probably upload super early, forget i was going to do anything different, and put 053 in the old playlist by default.

Hrrmm...decisions, decisions.

Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

LittleBlackadder

LittleBlackadder

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Hmmm, after reading your last post about resetting the counter for a new series, I thought that it would give you the opportunity to create and introduce some new 15 minutes fresh characters and for Scarface and Mei to go off and travel the world or retire to a Buddhist monastery, open a shelter for abandoned LBP moon levels, start a rock band, begin their own fashion and sporting goods line, market their own line of perfumes and colognes, etc, ...

I'm not saying that you should or need to Game of Thrones' Red Wedding scene and get rid of some of the characters but it could be just be a pleasant but sad farewell.

A new series with new characters also gives you the opportunity to branch out. explore new creative background story lines during the series with the new characters as well as new sets, new scoreboards, etc. Scarface and Mei could still drop in occasionally, skype or send a postcard etc.

Then again, perhaps having some consistency leaves less planning and work for you.

It's really up to you but I thought that you might consider this as a opportunity to not just reset the counter but gain other viewers who may feel left out or confused by the Scarface and Mei characters and their backstories.

As I said "It's up to you" and you still have plenty of time plus a break to consider what to change and what to keep.

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 528 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Hrmm...i dig what you're saying about the building continuity of a show which really shouldn't have much of any at all. Metaplot is like mold, isn't it? It just builds up in the cracks, and then next thing you know it's everywhere. i have been trying to keep the intro bits a little more self-contained once we got past the whole boppin' around time bit, and i think i'll keep up with that going out. Use LBsP as a vehicle for story-story stuff.

i like the idea of having different back-ups sometimes, maybe for a couple of weeks at a stretch; though i don't think i could write out Mei and Skullface for too long.

Funny your mentioning the Red Wedding, seeing as Mei and Naoki will have theirs eventually.

• katanagirl1 likes this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,013 posts
People went on and on about the Red Wedding in GoT, but honestly I thought it was par for the course. I was more shocked when Jamie lost his hand - there was a moment of foreshadowing there that made it more horrific because you could see it coming.

The series is good for doing things you don’t expect.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox