• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

King-Oddsock515

King-Oddsock515

Lexus RC

• Happy Sacks
  • 79 posts
  • LocationDa Vinci's Hideout

Hi guys...well to put it like this...I need your help. I been thinking about making my first ever platforming level, which it will be based around a dungeon filled with "Dreadful Mechanisms" or "Torture Devices" where timing is the key to success but here's the problem...The theme song. For this level, I planning on going towards a Creepy/Oppressive.

Here's a few examples of Oppressive Songs with a little creepiness to them

Original Crash Bandicoot 1---Boulders/Boulder Dash Theme Song---https://www.youtube....h?v=QRE8K0VNong

Original Crash Bandicoot 1---Fumbling In The Dark Theme Song---https://www.youtube....h?v=VZHvJ7JIoks

I couldn't figure out which Sequencer Instruments to use for this type of theme.

Any idea's on which Sequencer Instruments would be perfect something Creepy/Oppressive?

• CuriousSack likes this

Elite Minecraft Sheep

Bluesheep_1523946.jpg

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ, USA
Retro music like that can use something like a sine wave for the melody, it has low thermo, and a bass for the low notes. There is an 8 bit synth drum kit that is low thermo too. I seem to remember a steel drum somewhere too. I have the Move pack, so I'm not sure which ones might be from that DLC, though I think the ones I mentioned are from the main games.
  • CuriousSack and King-Oddsock515 like this
Posted Image

King-Oddsock515

King-Oddsock515

Lexus RC

• Happy Sacks
  • 79 posts

Ah thanks for your help as always :), although I wish there there were more to choose from, especially the drums.

• CuriousSack and katanagirl1 like this

Elite Minecraft Sheep

Bluesheep_1523946.jpg

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 507 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Retro music like that can use something like a sine wave for the melody, it has low thermo, and a bass for the low notes. There is an 8 bit synth drum kit that is low thermo too. I seem to remember a steel drum somewhere too. I have the Move pack, so I'm not sure which ones might be from that DLC, though I think the ones I mentioned are from the main games.

Were the steel drums from the Tiki Adventure pack? Though, now that i think of it, they'd be more Caribbean than Polynesian, wouldn't they?
Posted Image
時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
Watch me butcher monsters and the Japanese Language!
Community Levels first impressions - Roughly 15 Fresh!

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,006 posts
No, I don't have any LBP3 DLC. The steel drums might have come from the Move pack. Then again, I might be remembering totally wrong and thinking of something else.

Yes, it is a shame about the music thermo. I did have some better drums, but they are big thermo hogs like the good piano, so you can't layer on many other instruments before you blow the thermo. More instruments makes a better, fuller sound.

Good luck with your composition, King-Oddsock515!
:)
Posted Image

King-Oddsock515

King-Oddsock515

Lexus RC

• Happy Sacks
  • 79 posts

Yeah I don't have the steel drums instrument, so my best bet would be the Acoustic Kit 1. I manage to get a good set of Acoustic Kit 1's going, but the main melody, secondary melody, and Baiyon Bass 2  since It's kind of hard to hear Baiyon Bass 1 is unbelievably difficult to get right. :Worried: 

• CuriousSack likes this

Elite Minecraft Sheep

Bluesheep_1523946.jpg

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,006 posts

Yeah I don't have the steel drums instrument, so my best bet would be the Acoustic Kit 1. I manage to get a good set of Acoustic Kit 1's going, but the main melody, secondary melody, and Baiyon Bass 2 since It's kind of hard to hear Baiyon Bass 1 is unbelievably difficult to get right. :Worried:

Here's a trick I learned - for the ones that aren't as loud, copy and paste 3 or 4 of them on the music sequencer. Put all other instruments in their own channel, then adjust volume on the channels separately to get a more balanced sound. I have to do that with one of the strings because they are so soft.

EDIT: oh wait, you picked some high thermo ones so that might not work

Edited by katanagirl1, 21 July 2017 - 04:52 AM.

• CuriousSack likes this
Posted Image

King-Oddsock515

King-Oddsock515

Lexus RC

• Happy Sacks
  • 79 posts

Yes, since the Acoustic Kit 1 sounded closer to what I wanted, same with Baiyon Bass 2. I been testing with the Harp,Worm and Sine Wave to see which one will work and sound the best for the main melody, so will see how thing's will go, since i'm struggling to come up with a good melody without sounding terrible or lighthearted. :P    

• CuriousSack likes this

Elite Minecraft Sheep

Bluesheep_1523946.jpg

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,006 posts
Try changing the timbre too, it can change the sound of the instruments in some cases. It can make them more punchy or more soft. I think that was the right joystick once you click on the note but I can't remember for sure.
Posted Image

King-Oddsock515

King-Oddsock515

Lexus RC

• Happy Sacks
  • 79 posts

Wow I can't believe I forgot about the that timbre,thanks for reminding me. :)

Elite Minecraft Sheep

Bluesheep_1523946.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox