Voltaic Ruination

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

chronos453

chronos453

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 122 posts

When I decided making a platformer on a whim, I never imagined it being this.

I hate making water platformers, the water level in Chapter Zero was the most frustrating thing to make. And since I attempted to make a Toggle level twice and failed both times, I guess you could say that I hate making Toggle levels too.

But I guess I just forgot my preferences for a week because here's a water platformer featuring Toggle. Voltaic Ruination has the player navigating in a flooded ruins, with a very nasty thunderstorm permanently looming overhead. The gimmick is that every few seconds a lightning bolt strikes the water, electrifying the entire surface level. Whether you're above sea level or below sea level, time your transitions carefully, or the water-lightning combo will fry you to a crisp.

Also, much like Virtual Return, this level is also a contest entry (this one) on LBPCentral. So if you don't hate making water / non-Sackboy levels, then I recommend you give yourself a fair shot and throw in a contest entry. There's a bit over two weeks remaining for this contest (as of this post), so make sure you start planning first.

5f5aa54a15d953248e3e25234874036909952e3c

Voltaic Ruination by chronos453

QPQ

e81e78495ee13ff7f20a41fcffac760e3325768c

A Platformer by Woutery

7f11f4667e444e38b26c99a258e3ac436d66b20a

3c80b95af059d2496dc52e8f6faf78e97f745236

41c575b1a2b93bc54c790a9c6f1fd91da25257f1

And with that, I'll leave you to it. If you have any questions about this level or encounter any issues, please be sure to let me know.

Don't ask about the framerate, though. I can't fix that. :(

• Pookachoo, LittleBlackadder, oluizq and 2 others like this

SeVeN161

SeVeN161

not a red head!

• Sack Stars
  • 250 posts
  • Locationisrael

framerates in lbp3 are the makers prob :ascared: , and altough i am totally bad with toggle, I'll queue it  :P
edit: wow thats is one of the most challenging levels I played, the need to dodge obsitcles while waiting to the right time to get in/out the water is a very challenging fact for a ninja sack  :Ninja:

• oluizq likes this

giphy.gif

you already know I am :P

keep on being awesome!

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 507 posts
  • LocationOsaka
Ossu, Chronos!

Don't want to say too much, 'cause i'm covering this in the next LBsP, but there's something i've got to know.

So, there's a bit, i guess near the end, where you've got a bunch of electric marbles in a wave pattern, with a pair of bombs beneath, yeah? After that there's a shaft blocked by 4 electric marbles, the center 2 low, the ones on the sides a little higher. What's the player supposed to do there? It seems like shift to little Toggle and slip between a side and middle marble, but if there's actually enough clearance, i couldn't find the angle to get it. i tried for a lot of deaths, but eventually i had to give up so i could go to work.
  • oluizq and chronos453 like this
Posted Image
時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
Watch me butcher monsters and the Japanese Language!
Community Levels first impressions - Roughly 15 Fresh!

chronos453

chronos453

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 122 posts

Ossu, Chronos!

Don't want to say too much, 'cause i'm covering this in the next LBsP, but there's something i've got to know.

So, there's a bit, i guess near the end, where you've got a bunch of electric marbles in a wave pattern, with a pair of bombs beneath, yeah? After that there's a shaft blocked by 4 electric marbles, the center 2 low, the ones on the sides a little higher. What's the player supposed to do there? It seems like shift to little Toggle and slip between a side and middle marble, but if there's actually enough clearance, i couldn't find the angle to get it. i tried for a lot of deaths, but eventually i had to give up so i could go to work.

Oh. You're featuring this on LBsP? Shoot, that only makes this lack of guidance even worse, haha.

So judging by the description, I'm assuming you mean this part:

3bf73c8d437a37c31d1eb34ee8d1083d180e0f68

If so, the method is to make it to the last marble and jump as big Toggle so you can make it on the slightly higher platform a layer back. After that, you switch to little Toggle to resurface (mind the lightning of course) and continue on from there.

Also if this helps, yes, this level was made with a higher difficulty in mind.

• SeVeN161, oluizq and waffle_king23 like this

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Restless Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 507 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Ossu, Chronos!

Oh. You're featuring this on LBsP? Shoot, that only makes this lack of guidance even worse, haha.

If so, the method is to make it to the last marble and jump as big Toggle so you can make it on the slightly higher platform a layer back. After that, you switch to little Toggle to resurface (mind the lightning of course) and continue on from there.

Oh, my, dogs...i didn't even notice the ledge until i looked at the picture just now (probably didn't help that i was in the wide-shouldered Mob coat costume). Glad to know the miss was on me.
  • oluizq and chronos453 like this
Posted Image
時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
Watch me butcher monsters and the Japanese Language!
Community Levels first impressions - Roughly 15 Fresh!

chronos453

chronos453

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 122 posts

Ossu, Chronos!

Oh, my, dogs...i didn't even notice the ledge until i looked at the picture just now (probably didn't help that i was in the wide-shouldered Mob coat costume). Glad to know the miss was on me.

Well, as someone who playtests their levels by the dozens per hour, the line between "what the player sees" and "what the creator sees" can get pretty blurry.

• oluizq likes this

JustinArt

JustinArt

New Sack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Good job on the level. The lightning strike is good idea and requires timing and patience. I think the checkpoints need to be more active like adding player sensor tools, but other than that the level is challenging in a fun way.

LittleBlackadder

LittleBlackadder

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,910 posts
  • LocationAustralia

A great looking level with a well chosen selection of materials. The lightning and electrifying of the water was really well done. I found it challenging due to my poor sense of timing and was so unable to finish it, even so, well done and good luck with the competition! :D

chronos453

chronos453

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 122 posts

Good job on the level. The lightning strike is good idea and requires timing and patience. I think the checkpoints need to be more active like adding player sensor tools, but other than that the level is challenging in a fun way.

The checkpoints are powered by player sensors, though maybe not as big of an awareness range as one would hope.

A great looking level with a well chosen selection of materials. The lightning and electrifying of the water was really well done. I found it challenging due to my poor sense of timing and was so unable to finish it, even so, well done and good luck with the competition! :D

At this point I'm willing to pin all the blame on the level itself in terms of difficulty. :v

Firehuntah

Firehuntah

New Sack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I just tried your level, it's really awesome! :) I like the concept of the thunder and water you used, don't think I've seen that being used in a level before. It's quite a difficult level but I always like a good challenge. And what a challenge this was. ;) It did take me a while to figure out that only the surface of the water was dangerous, it got a bit easier after that. :D Avoiding all the dangerous objects in the water while getting as many score bubbles as possible was great by itself already, combining that with having to time it with the thunder was a really great idea.

Only issue I saw is when you're in the back layer, it takes just a bit too long for the things in the front layers to disappear, making it sometimes hard to see where to go. Other than that I really liked the level and even managed #2 score right behind your own score. Though much less obviously. :D I think I'll try it again to see if I can get a higher score. And the checkpoints are fine I think, I like having to put some effort to actually get them instead of just automatically getting them walking by. I must admit I did miss a few sometimes though, had to redo a large part of the level but made sure I didn't miss it on the 2nd attempt. :P

• chronos453 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox