• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Hot Shot Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Okee dokee, New episodes on tap! Regular is here. Premium is over here.

We're taking a look at

Frozen Gear - lukas3tri
Colorful fun run - Baby-Luigi123
The Township of Malgamor - TheAliklumKnight
Desert Temple - GuiSly
Corrosive Caverns 3 - loopy1200

Had a lot of fun with these levels. Baby-Luigi123's, in particular, was a hoot to play. Putting things together in general went smoothly as well, which was unexpected and appreciated. This will be the last week we'll be using Cutaways in the wrap-up. i've kinda sorta got my head wrapped around PIP. At least i get how to make it work, if not quite yet how to make it look good.

About the Bonus episode... i don't know. On one hand, i'm glad i made it; on the other, i wonder if it wouldn't have been better broken into more focused pieces. i don't know what the issue was, but my brain was pretty clearly going a bit sideways by the end (all told, with retakes, it took about 8hrs of recording). Minor errors to point out: whenever i say anything about me making a "level," please substitute "episode" (except when i'm actually talking about making a level). When i get to make my posts early (which is not every week), they're saved in Note, not Word...i don't even have Word.

The bit about having scheduled publishing on YouTube isn't a mistake, i did have it for about two weeks, then suddenly the feature got taken off my account without notice yesterday. It kinda sucks on account of it being really helpful. i contacted them about it, but i doubt anything will come of it.

Anyhow, this has been a pretty great experience putting these together these last six months. All of this is thanks to all of you, and i'm so glad the show has found a home in the community. i wish all of you the best of days, and look forward to the next 6months of 15minutes Fresh!

• b-coli, xerorogue, LittleBlackadder and 4 others like this
Posted Image
時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
Watch me butcher monsters and the Japanese Language!
Community Levels first impressions - Roughly 15 Fresh!

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ, USA
You've put a lot of work into these episodes, and it takes determination and courage to put something together like you do and put it out there on YouTube every week. I just shoot raw video and do some quick edits, so I appreciate the time you take to research levels, play them, set up the hub level, and do the reviews.
:)
The hubby has time off for the weekend, which means that my access to the computer will be limited (or more like, non-existent :P), so it may be a few days (or more) before I get a chance to watch your latest episode and comment on it.

I look forward to it!
  • b-coli, xerorogue, LittleBlackadder and 1 other like this

b-coli

b-coli

Eat, Play, Sleep

• Administrators
  • 8,952 posts

i love the commentary :)

nice work on the video!

gonna tweet it now :p:

• LittleBlackadder, katanagirl1 and waffle_king23 like this

Posted Image

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Hot Shot Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOsaka
Thanks so much all of you! We wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for you. Also, b-coli, i'm so sorry i didn't give you a shout out in the episode. i knew i was missing someone.

Don't know if i'd call it courage, though. Just rock-dumb bloody-mindedness. Still, it all works out in the end.

We've got next week's episode in the works now, just need to tidy up the cameras and finalize the playlist. Should be able to start recording tomorrow night if i'm lucky. Might be able to get some work done on the next hub tomorrow morning if things go smoothly enough. Going to see BLAME! tonight, though...so we'll see how muzzy-brained i am when i wake up.
  • b-coli likes this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

LittleBlackadder

LittleBlackadder

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I always thought that your youtube videos were great but after watching the Premium Edition "026+ - How-to" I am awestruck and you have moved up the ladder from "great" to "terrific" and then to whatever is better than "terrific" :P

It was really interesting to find out how you chose the levels for your videos.

The story about evolution of Frank/Skullface and Mei as well as the development of the school with Kanji paint-stickers was entertaining and informative.

"F. Skullface - definitely dead. M. Moriguchi - mostly dead" lol :p:

Sad to hear about the death of your PS3 :Sadder: and then the corruption of your profile :Angrier: God, I would be wild!

As you talked about and showed the "set up" for your episodes I kept thinking "Clever, clever, clever ..." sequencer and the batteries and animators, movie cameras, senors, triggers, dialogue, notes, etc. I honestly had no idea how much work it requires and that's just for the "set up", then there is the recording of the levels, the intro, the wrap up and

the scoring.

I still don't know how to use broadcast chips and there you are using them with tags, camera angles, animation tweakers, etc. etc. etc. :huh:

Thanks for making this Special, Premium, First Class, Edition youtube video and also for the acknowledgment of your fans in various LBP forums.

Thank you :D

For those who haven't seen it yet, there is a surprise!

You get to see Waffle_king in "Japanland" :D

• b-coli, katanagirl1 and waffle_king23 like this

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Hot Shot Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOsaka
The ps3 kicking the bucket was unfortunate, but expected. The fan had been going for a while, but playing The Last of Us in the middle of Summer was the last straw. Still, it lead me back to pc gaming for a bit, which got me to Isaac. In a very roundabout way R15F probably wouldn't exist without losing the ps3 when i did.

Now the profile corruption and the loss of the Jside servers...i'm still a lil' salty about those.

i'm still very much a novice with the broadcast chips, i only really get how they work to add abilities to the player. i can't really wrap my head around how they work with other objects yet. Danx87's sackbot series is a really good place to get a baseline knowledge so you can start figuring it out on your own. i do wish he was a bit more theory than practical application, but he's still very easy to follow.

The show does take a lot of time, but there are areas that get a bit quicker and more streamlined each time. Just simple things like keeping things modular and color-coding/post-it noting things saved way more time than i'd expected. Some bits have hard limits (like how fast you can input text), but probably fewer than you think.

Thanks for the feedback, Adder; i'll keep at making things better!
  • b-coli and LittleBlackadder like this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,898 posts
Broadcast chips are the greatest asset to LBP3. Read all articles and watch all the videos you can find about hem.

They are usually used for things like 3D movement on the player or sackbot, but by changing he setting from "broadcast to character" to "broadcast to tag" you can apply logic to objects. It can drastically reduce the amount of logic, and save thermo in your level.

As an example, my levels had crates in them that could be broken and bolts collected from them for points. Since there were lots of these crates in the level and they all had the same logic on them, I could pull that logic off one crate and put it on a broadcast chip instead. Then I only had one copy of the logic and dozens of crates. I put a colored and named tag on each crate (the same for each) and had the broadcast chip use that instead.

I had another exploding crate that needed to also detect if another crate nearby had been triggered, so it would explode as well, but after a slight delay. In this case, there needed to be some logic on the crate so they would act differently and independently, but I was able to move about half of the logic to the broadcast chip in that case too.

I'm not sure how you would use tags in this way in your level for the video, but it could be helpful in other applications.
  • LittleBlackadder likes this

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Hot Shot Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOsaka
Yeah, i don't think it'd be something necessary often, but i can see applications (i probably could have used some for the trains, like with the doors). i guess i'm just having trouble conceptualizing it, like how it would deal with things that need to be wired. Maybe it can't? It's something on my back burner to have a closer look at.

So this week's playlist is finalized, the intro recorded, and two of the levels as well. Should be able to wrap it up wednesday at the latest. We've been making progress in tandem on the next set, so with luck will be able to jump into recording that on Thursday.

Ran into two...things...on my trawl this go about. One was a level titled something like "Wear your whore makeup, you whore." Something like that. i should have filed a grief report, but i didn't think of it until later.
The other was a guy who'd actually made the list for this week. Was putting everything in the notebook, and took a closer look at his name. Hadn't noticed when i'd grabbed the level, just that i was pretty sure i'd not played any of his stuff. But looking closer, it read kind of...Nazi-y? So, he's got his Twitter handle on lbp.me, so i go do a look up. i dunno, maybe i'm oversensitive and on the wrong side of Poe's Law, but it didn't take that much scrolling to get to dancing Hitlers so.... Yeah, i'm not giving promotion to Nazis. It is something i worry about a little. i mean, it's not like you can always know what someone's like on the otherside of their screen name. Hell, i haven't made waffles in a dog's age.

i guess it just means even in LBP it's a good idea to keep your eyes open, y'all.
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

b-coli

b-coli

Eat, Play, Sleep

• Administrators
  • 8,952 posts

Thanks so much all of you! We wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for you. Also, b-coli, i'm so sorry i didn't give you a shout out in the episode. i knew i was missing someone.

Don't know if i'd call it courage, though. Just rock-dumb bloody-mindedness. Still, it all works out in the end.

We've got next week's episode in the works now, just need to tidy up the cameras and finalize the playlist. Should be able to start recording tomorrow night if i'm lucky. Might be able to get some work done on the next hub tomorrow morning if things go smoothly enough. Going to see BLAME! tonight, though...so we'll see how muzzy-brained i am when i wake up.

haha i don't need a shout out ;) no worries :p:

it is a lot of work and effort put into those videos, just thought it would help to tweet it out in hopes that some more people would see it :)

• katanagirl1 and waffle_king23 like this

Posted Image

on twitter @b_coli_ LBP related, or @TheMindOfColi everything else!

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,898 posts

Hey, I love the escalators in this hub!  Awesome!

The first level by lukas3tri - was published sometime in 2015 by the screen in the video.  Even if the creator didn't put a sign up, it should indicate a button press automatically.  I don't remember if LBP3 had a wormhole that worked similarly to the one in Cross Controller and that there was some problem with both of them, like some ambiguity, or if the Sci-Fi pack for LBP3 didn't include it and LBP3 didn't know what to do with it.  I just remember I had problems with my old LBP2 levels that used the wormhole in LBP3.

The GuiSly level was definitely the stand out level in this bunch, too bad it was so short!  It is very polished and well executed.

OK, I'm typing while watching, so now I see the loopy1200 level, it's actually quite good too, the cutscenes make it clear to see what the player needs to do, that is not always the case.  It started out slow, but the gameplay got better as you progressed through the level.

You were generous with your rating for TheAliklumKnight's level.  It was nice-looking, and you can tell a lot of work went into it, but it didn't have much going on in the level.  It looks like you could get lost easily, trying to find your way since the level had a good amount of depth and and there were multiple pathways.  It would have been nice to decorate the level a little more, like making it overgrown with plants or something, to have something more to look at.

I noticed that some of the jumps were quite wide and you had to really nail them to get across, and if you missed then there was a lot of backtracking, which is never fun.  I totally agree with you on that one.

I'm going to have to queue up the how-to video for later, but I really enjoyed this week's episode!

:)

• b-coli likes this

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Hot Shot Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOsaka

Thanks KG! i was really happy with how the hub turned out this time, maybe even more so than with the earlier train station. It was certainly less work to kit together.

Beedie beedie, Tuesday Takeaway!

Frozen Gear - lukas3tri

Was able to appreciate this one a little more on the third go. It really is a chill, simple platformer, and the music sells it pretty well. i hadn't known about the Wormhole issues, so maybe lukas3tri hadn't realized it wouldn't auto-trigger, or wouldn't display a prompt; and when playtesting, their brain just glossed it over ('cause they knew what to do there). There are some cool design elements on hand (there's a really cool looking city silhouette we can see at the end of the video), but the gross design is just too flat and undifferentiated, especially with the camera pulled back as it tends to be. i wish i'd recorded some of the later mechanical bits to show during the outro, they're simple, but effective and neat.

Colorful Fun Run - Baby-Luigi123

Didn't shift too much here, which is good, because i had a lot of fun with it the first two times. For something that is so simple on the surface, it's surprisingly fun, even on replay. i could see some complaints during the low-grav sections, because it can be pretty tough to see where you are; but if you hit that section with momentum, you'll be past it before you notice. i was actually playing for points this time around, which is something i don't tend to do, so there's a point in favour as well. Ended up snagging 2nd place.

The Township of Malgamor - TheAliklumKnight

i was really on the fence here when i was doing the episode, and...i don't know, i could see a good case for this having been a red triangle. The level is beautiful in its architecture, but there is just too little going on, and the lack of decoration/animation, makes the level feel very empty. Kind of like wandering through a museum display. This is an issue, because unless you're getting jumps perfectly on the first go, there'll be a lot of backtracking. Still, at least on an intellectual level, i can appreciate the work needed to put the level together, and it is certainly coherent as an environment, if not particularly active.

Desert Temple - GuiSly[/i]

Well, GuiSly does warn us this is a mini-level, and it's very mini. It's such a shame, because what we see is extremely nice. There's a good mix of platforming elements, the environment is cohesive, with a solid choice of materials and decos. It's even got incidental, environmental movement for a sense of place and activity (those collapsing pillars in the back layer, were tres cool). i wish Gui could've given us more, but at least we got what we did. When i get the secondary series going, i'm going to have to look at some of their other stuff.

[b]Corrosive Caverns 3 - loopy1200

Another one where my feelings going were basically the same coming out. This is a solid, effective, well-designed simple platformer. It doesn't try to be anything more, and plays well to its strengths. It was nice to see a return of LBP-era enemies. The only quibble i really had was linguistic. By no standard is lava corrosive. i don't know if an acid looking material would've been a good fit for the look of the level, but still. Judging by their Earth, loopy has a thing for CC in their naming conventions. Maybe Calderic Caverns would've been better? Though a caldera would imply a different overall look...maybe there's no winning here.

So that's it for this week! We're in the midst of recording for the upcoming, and that's progressing smoothly. Thanks for all the support everyone, and have a great day!

Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,898 posts

Congrats for reaching the 6 month milestone!  Thanks for the look behind the scenes in your How-to video!  I found it very interesting.  It will be a nice guide for others for both creating and/or filming levels in LBP.

I'm happy to hear you have been watching comphermc's tutorials, he has a treasure trove of information about all kinds of logic on YouTube.  I learned a lot from him!

:D

Sequencers are great, they make putting things together easier and give you a visual guide instead of trying to get a bunch of timers to sync up, which can be tedious.  Your video was very helpful in that you stepped through some of the logic in create mode and triggered things to demonstrate just how it works while in play mode.  I have found it's a great way to test things in create mode without having to save and go to play mode - you just rewind to reset.  I'm not sure if other creators have realized that and used it to full effect.

The picture-in-picture is a nice addition, is that something you added within ShareFactory?  I haven't looked into it because I haven't had need to do that, but it works well for you.

I totally understand the effort you put into getting the audio into your videos.  The decision of putting audio into the raw video versus adding it later is tough.  The more times you have to redo it, the less you care about it and just want to get it done!

:ascared:

As for the characters not looking when they are supposed to, I remember some instances when character rotators didn't seem to work for me, I never did figure it out.  Hopefully someone else here on LBN has figured it out and can help.

The reasoning behind your rating icons is sound and consistent.  I guessed early on that fun was your primary goal, but I'm pleased that you are starting to recognize levels that are also artistically decorated and more complicated and factor that into your reviews.  I am glad that you call out levels with zoomed out camera because they frustrate me and I rarely hear others mention that as a deterrent in comments on the level.  I would disagree with the replayability of the level being used to rate it, though. If I play an outstanding level it goes right into my hearted levels list and becomes one of my favorites.  I guess that aligns more with your goal of being fun, and can sort of understand from your perspective.

I heard my name mentioned a few times - why do you want to say katakanagirl?  It's just katana (sword) + girl1.

:P

• LittleBlackadder and waffle_king23 like this

waffle_king23

waffle_king23

Hot Shot Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOsaka
Yeah, Comph's stuff is a godsend, i've got a notebook fulla stuff from his episodes from way back. i really wish he was still producing, Danx's guides are good, but he's no Comph.

The PiP stuff is being done in ShareFactory, you can set it up through the Add Track 2 function. It's fairly easy to do on the face, but i can see i've a way to go before its mastered. Right now (granted, the first time i'm really trying to do it for an episode) i'm recording the outro as normal, then trying to find bits of footage from my second plays that i can trim down to fit when they're being talked about. There's a limit to the number of pips you can put in, though, so i've got to edit the trimmed bit together, then try to sync it all up. i'm sure it'll get to be second nature, but i think i muffed one of the clips pretty hard for this week's episode. Until i get it down, i'm going to need to give myself some extra editing time, which means i've really got to get ahead on recording.

About your name, KG, surprisingly(?) i had far more chance to say katana before coming to Japan than after. On the other hand, i need to say (or see written) katakana almost every day at work (non-katakana pronunciation is one of the things we need to help students with a lot). So i see your name, and there's a better than half chance my brain mixes it up.

Although, this doesn't preclude the possibility that my brain's just sloppy. i only realized after getting the how-to episode finished that i'd pretty consistently called Intern-chan/-kun "Internet-chan/-kun," along with a raft of other dumb mistakes.
  • LittleBlackadder and katanagirl1 like this
Posted Image
ージョン・タインズ、作家

ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,898 posts

Ah, so the PIP thing is just like adding audio tracks, you can only have so many.  I thought they were well done in your episode, the timing seemed good to me.

Ha ha, yeah I noticed the intern/internet thing, but it made me laugh so I wouldn't worry about it!

:p:

• waffle_king23 likes this

LittleBlackadder

LittleBlackadder

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I finally got around to seeing the 15 minutes fresh video. Terrific episode Mr Waffle!

Congratulations on completing the Monkey Bars in one go! 10/10 :D

The (not sure of the correct term) inserts of gameplay video in your wrap up/ review (such as the Brain-things or where parts of a level are hard or could be improved) is a great addition to your vidoes.

Well done! :D

• waffle_king23 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox