Portal 2 Revisited - 3.0 (looking for testers and feedback)

testing community feedback

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Shaggy Vinci

Shaggy Vinci

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 164 posts

This one has been in my queue for a while now. shame on my i just managed it now to finally play it.

I really appreciate your decision to keep improving this level. I might be too lazy to do so.

And even though i see some improvements and i like the level, the controls of the portal gun are still confusing me. Sometimes the cursor just glitches out and makes unpredictable movements out of no reason. That's too bad since i feel like this is the only game breaking bug and the rest of the level seems to work as it's supposed to.

If you are on ps3 and you feel like you're not capable of fixing this bug alone or may just need some more detailed feedback, feel free to ask me for help.

Posted Image

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,027 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ, USA
Hi Shaggy Vinci, I saw that you had played the level. I am on PS4.

These things affect the cursor: L2 and R2 player layer change and right joystick, getting close to wall tiles, front surfaces of walls, and player movement. The cursor snaps to wall tiles to make portal placement easier. The front surfaces of walls have tags to prevent cursor from dropping behind them. Also, the walls of the room have tags to keep the cursor from going outside of them. If the player moves a certain distance, the cursor follower is activated to bring it back to the player.

If none of those are what you are seeing, then I am not sure what is going on. It's one of those deals where I know how the powerup is designed so I tend to not have the same problem, I'm sure. Since we can't go into create mode together, I suppose the only solution would be for me to setup a test level with the powerup and a room mockup that you could try. I could publish a locked level and send you the key if you like that idea.

Still, I think I have less than 20 plays for this level, so I'm not sure - would it be worth the effort for both me and you?
  • Shaggy Vinci likes this
Posted Image

Shaggy Vinci

Shaggy Vinci

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 164 posts

I guess it has been a mixture of these things you mentioned, that affected the cursor. It was hard to comprehend what exactly was causing the cursor movement, so it felt like i had no real control of it. But the cursor also moved out of the room several times, what might have been a "real" bug.

I would really like to have a look on the logic used for the cursor, but since we are not both on the same platform i'm afraid that i would cause more work for you than being helpful.

For now i can only give you limited feedback. so, not sure if it's really that way, but it felt like these things affecting the cursor (that were meant to be a help for the player, i guess) are too strong and felt to me like i had no real control of the cursor. If it's possible, a good way to give back control to the player might be activating these "helps" only after no player input has been made for a set time.

And maybe there's a way to reduce it even more by adding an interface element that shows if the cursor is hovering over a wall, on which a portal can be placed, instead of automatically moving the cursor to the right position.

I do not presume my ideas are the way you want the level to be, neither i know if it would even work with your current logic. Nonethless, i hope i could help you, somehow.

Posted Image

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,027 posts
All those things can affect the cursor, but I think the layer change overrides them all. If not, then the cursor would latch onto a tag and not let go. It is hard to balance the weights on all the elements and get it just right, I admit. I have had a couple of people try to help but the complexity seems to take them by surprise. I wanted to make the powerup as close to the original as possible.

I am working on a follow up level now. I figured I'd just put it out there anyway and see what happens. I like putting these together, designing the puzzles and getting them to work.

I suggested the published level because if I just send you the powerup it is only part of what you need to get things to work. The room needs quite a bit of setup as well.

I thought if more people said they like the level but gave feedback like yours that maybe it was just the powerup. It may be that most people just don't think the level is fun to play. I could simplify the powerup but then it wouldn't be as true to the original and I think that really loses something. I've played levels where there were some issues, but was able to overlook them for the sake of the whole. I'm not hearing that from what little feedback I am getting (except you).
Posted Image

Shaggy Vinci

Shaggy Vinci

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 164 posts

How's the sequel shaping up? If it's not too far in producting, you may consider to start up from scratch, reworking the logic a little bit.

However, since you mentioned which logic overwrites the movement of another: When i played the level, it felt like several movement effects were active at the same time. Making a clear hirarchy or changing the current one might already have a big effect on the handling of the cursor. Not to sound like i'm having the master plan, but having the player input the highest priority would be best, i think.

And sure, lack of feedback can be disappoiting, but nothing to worry about, i think.

Posted Image

katanagirl1

katanagirl1

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,027 posts

I wish you could join so you could show me just what your issue is.  I have spent so much time tweaking this powerup and feel like I've got the best balance I can get.  I think the thing is that you can't really assign a percentage to the layer change like you can the followers for the walls and such, so it always wins.  I created logic to test for other things and then disable parts to get it working as it is.  That is probably what you are seeing.

The best improvement would be to really get the cursor to hug the wall as you move, just like in a full 3D game, then you wouldn't have to make the cursor change layers.  That was my goal, but just getting the cursor to properly decide between a side wall and the back wall when in a corner was a bit hard to do.  So, I sort-of implemented that in a very crude way, but left the layer change so the player could use that when needed.

I'm having fun with the new level, all the other pieces I have created I can still use, and I have made some new items as well.  I'm making more test chambers that add onto the end of the first level.  If I do make changes to the powerup now or in the near future, I don't think it will affect how the level itself is designed at this point.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: testing, community, feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox