Dark Souls III

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

nirvana

nirvana

Royal Sack

• Moderators
  • 2,146 posts

looks like there are reports from polygon that Dark Souls III will be announced at E3 in the coming weeks.

more can be found here:

http://www.polygon.c...announced-at-e3

the game will be headed up by myazaki once more.

i will certainly be following this story. hopefully the rumors are true.

• MichealNubs, leloDeextuppy, Danielot and 20 others like this

nirvana

nirvana

Royal Sack

• Moderators
  • 2,146 posts

more "leaked" information. not really crazy about how the information is presented. but seeing as information is still sketchy, that point might be moot.

supposedly lots of new armor and weapons. new game mechanics such as bounties/sacrifices, boss battles changing due to a new concept called "heat-ups", special new character moves. hopefully details will be more specific at e3 in the coming weeks (if indeed all this is true).

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

Here I figured I would share ENB's thoughts on the information, basically if you want to hear his opinions on Dark Souls III's rumors, since this is the first time he has been able to speculate about a Fromsoft game since he was behind the scenes with Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne, watch from  the beginning to about 10:20:

https://www.youtube....h?v=MEr5r-0TeUw

My opinion. Well the only thing I don't like hearing is the fact about sixty minutes of ingame cutscenes.  Souls games never really have had ingame cutscenes besides some intros for the bosses and other little things. Perhaps at most they add up to a few minutes but no where close to sixty minutes of them so I'm unsure how they will play out. I also hope we get a new story since Dark Souls 2 story is basically the same as Dark Souls with the twist of that no matter the choice of light or dark the cycle always repeats and the only way to at least try and stop the curse is by rejecting the choice (at least to break the cycle, that is the Scholar of the First Sin ending). It was an interesting twist once but doing it again would just be lackluster. I also hoping for more memorably boss fights since the main game bosses weren't all that memorably, the Crown Trilogy though had memorably fights. Of course with the mention of this "Heat Up" system it sounds like they are definitely working on to make boss fights more memorably.

Posted Image

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

Really? Damn that is very sad for ENB.

Well lets not stay sad. Here is an Imgur album of all the images that the Know showed:

http://imgur.com/a/6ZZgy

Posted Image

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

So apparently some promotional images have surfaced for Dark Souls 3:

http://www.gameinfor...e-surfaces.aspx

Posted Image

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

Official Teaser Trailer was shown:

https://www.youtube....h?v=fvURg49qsWE

Posted Image

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

Well there is a lovely display at E3 of Dark Souls 3 that perhaps hints at the sacrifice mechanic that The Know hinted at:

tumblr_nq1qd3jui21s0d9alo1_1280.jpg

Posted Image

OscarBentley

OscarBentley

Your Friendly Neighbor. :)

• Sack Stars
  • 666 posts
  • Locationwhere you are looking at the moment.

"Now only embers remain" Intriguing, isn't that what it says in the DS 1 prologue?

6471786.png?308138610.png?3539873935.png?227
sigs by Powerspell3 :)

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

"Now only embers remain" Intriguing, isn't that what it says in the DS 1 prologue?

No, in the prologue it says 'but soon the flames will fade and only dark will remain, even now there are only embers.' I would argue though that this merely talks about the choice between whether to kindle the flame or not while Dark Souls 3 seems to suggest that this will be the final age of this curse, a time to finally unshackle man from the curse of the hollowing.

Some more info has come from E3 from Miyazaki even himself after a preview of an off hand behind close door demo was shown:

http://www.ign.com/a...rk-souls-sequel

Most interesting thing I found about the short piece is that when asked about the giant we see in the trailer, Miyazaki simply refers to it as the Lord of Cinder, and the gravestones talked about earlier in the interview talk about a Lord of Cinder. Has a new Lord of Cinder risen? Does this creature possess the great lord soul of Gywn like the Old Iron King did in Dark Souls 2? Are the lord souls once again something we must seek out?

Another article I found that sheds some more light on what was seen with even some story details:

http://fextralife.co...ouls-3-e3-info/

Taken from the article:

The story in Dark Souls 3 revolves around the “Lord of Cinder“, his resurrection and the Dark Hero trying to defeat him.

When asked about the Lord of Cinder being directly connected to Dark Souls I or II (we’re all thinking Gwyn right?) we were given a very vague answer which essentially meant “It will be open for the player to decide“. We were also given the impression that the story of Dark Souls III would not be directly linked to the previous titles, but again be open to interpretation.

Learned a bit more on the giant thing, not much but it seems the title Lord of Cinder may not only belong to the giant we saw since in the presentation people saw they also talked about "Lords" of Cinder, plural. Still confusing and to early to tell though what it all means but we are diving back into the rabbit hole and I'm excited. Also a lot of the people who saw the behind door presentation state the game looks very similar to Dark Souls asthetically on the same engine as Bloodborne was on.

Oh and the first playable demo will be at Gamescom.

Posted Image

nirvana

nirvana

Royal Sack

• Moderators
  • 2,146 posts

i haven't mentioned how it was rumored (someone at IGN speaking with someone) that Dark Souls III will be the final game of the series. i wanted to wait until there was more of an official word. there is an interview with miyazaki in a kotaku article here:

http://kotaku.com/da...dium=Socialflow

he basically says that Dark Souls III ISN'T the final game in the souls series, BUT it will mark as a turning point. he doesn't go into specifics, but i for one am glad that we haven't seen the last souls game in dark souls III.

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

Found this image earlier on a fan site of all Souls things, didn't pay much mind to it but after hear the description of the boss everyone saw I believe this is the boss people saw behind closed doors:

tumblr_nq021chgyV1rn9ge0o4_1280.jpg

Posted Image

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

VaatiVidya gives us some insight of the game as well as what he saw from the behind closed door demo:

https://www.youtube....h?v=LfMzk8VXRxU

Also if you haven't heard this game has been in the works even before Dark Souls 2 lauch so this game has had more then just a two year production cycle.

Posted Image

Argetlam350

Argetlam350

Restless Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 713 posts
  • LocationBillings

Sounds good, I am happy they spent a longer time making the game than I had thought. The water like movements boss sounds interesting, also the crazy weapons. I hope we can see the demo soon

Supposedly there will be an open demo at Gamescom.

• OscarBentley likes this

Posted Image

KittyRainbows

KittyRainbows

猫の虹

• Happy Sacks
  • 425 posts
  • Location奈良 , 日本
im not keen on this game myself, not to play anyway, I don't like dying all the time, but I like to see the husband playing he first 2 , I prefer to watch.
but I do like the idea of the games and the graphics

Tynz21

Tynz21

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationright here, right now
I hope they pull this one off. Dark souls 2 was one of the best games I've ever played. Unlike most I preferred it to dark souls 1, even if the bosses could have been better at times. As long as they come out with new and different items, a few cool changes to mechanics, and do as good of a job with the spectacles as they did dark souls 2, I'll be happy. I like bloodborne, but I t feels so much more limited. Like a more simplified, Victorian version of dark souls.

nirvana

nirvana

Royal Sack

• Moderators
  • 2,146 posts

I hope they pull this one off. Dark souls 2 was one of the best games I've ever played. Unlike most I preferred it to dark souls 1, even if the bosses could have been better at times. As long as they come out with new and different items, a few cool changes to mechanics, and do as good of a job with the spectacles as they did dark souls 2, I'll be happy. I like bloodborne, but I t feels so much more limited. Like a more simplified, Victorian version of dark souls.

i agree that if i had to choose between combat mechanics, dark souls II is my favorite. i still like demon's souls for the overall atmosphere, the variety of the types of bosses (i didn't feel like i was fighting one over-sized knight after another), and it's also the first souls game i ever played back in 2010.

speaking of combat mechanics, i found this article from gamesradar rather interesting regarding the changes in dark souls III:

http://www.gamesrada...ost-bloodborne/

i'm a little worried that they will try to make it more bloodborne like when the thing that i liked most about dks2 was the move towards more realism in the physics of fighting. i liked that it was harder to time a parry and land a riposte than in both demon and dark souls I. landing a parry doesn't insure you the riposte as in past souls game. the risk/reward became more balanced. i can't wait to see more actual gameplay.

Tynz21

Tynz21

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I like bloodborne and all but the dark souls 2 combat was better in my opinion. I liked how it was highly varied, there was a lot of ways to go about it, but it still felt realistic. Bloodborne was a bit more over the top than I would prefer in my dark souls. But the best part about dark souls combat is you feel like you're in control. You don't feel like you're telling an avatar what to do, you feel like you're making the moves.

OscarBentley

OscarBentley

• Sack Stars
  • 666 posts

I like bloodborne and all but the dark souls 2 combat was better in my opinion. I liked how it was highly varied, there was a lot of ways to go about it, but it still felt realistic. Bloodborne was a bit more over the top than I would prefer in my dark souls. But the best part about dark souls combat is you feel like you're in control. You don't feel like you're telling an avatar what to do, you feel like you're making the moves.

The part that I liked about the DS2 combat was that you could use whatever weapon you wanted, and having more ring slots let you build your play style even farther then before, I hope they keep these features while still retaining the best parts of DS1 (my favorite of the souls series)

Tynz21

Tynz21

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

The part that I liked about the DS2 combat was that you could use whatever weapon you wanted, and having more ring slots let you build your play style even farther then before, I hope they keep these features while still retaining the best parts of DS1 (my favorite of the souls series)

Thats what I'm saying. There's so many ways to approach things. Plus I want smoothness. The 60fps scholar of the first sin is so much more comfortable than dark souls 1
  • OscarBentley likes this

OscarBentley

OscarBentley

• Sack Stars
  • 666 posts

Thats what I'm saying. There's so many ways to approach things. Plus I want smoothness. The 60fps scholar of the first sin is so much more comfortable than dark souls 1

I heard that they're aiming for 30 frames, I could be wrong though, but I think 30 frames would be the safest way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox