• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Karpethead (Shade_seeker)

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 544 posts
  • LocationUk
K, it occurred to me that there are quite a few tricks that I take for granted, that some of you that are fairly new may not know:

Corners and decorations: they use heaps of thermo!! My tank in 'tank commander' has something like 100 decorations and 8or9 individual seperate pieces of material all with loads of corners all glued together! K, simple answer, and probably reduces the thermo by 60%!!!! Make you item, use as many objects, materials, decorations and stickers that you want, go into front view mode, take a photo and place the photo on sticker material and cut it out!!

Thermo efficient fonts, and text: Make your fonts, or use other people's make sure they are white and made out of something that glows :neon, sticker material, Holo etc, turn the darkness right down in the global settings, take a photo, place the photo on Holo (turn brightness of Holo down to about 40% or so......BLACK is transparent on holo, so only the font shows! ( drawbacks: you need a material behind the holo for it to show clearly, and it's not as crisp and clear as sticker material.)

......... On my lunch break, will try and add more to this at a later date :).....any one else?
  • Pookachoo, lordwarblade, Killerrain13 and 1 other like this
LATEST LEVELS:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

........................................................ (MM picked woohoo!!)............................................

lordwarblade

lordwarblade

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAussie Land
Taking photos of materials in front view and then placing that photo on an already used material in your level most of the time looks just fine and saves on the amount of different materials used.
This is also very helpful when making complex background walls and other thing like you mentioned above.

Custom made stickers made with the move paint a lot of the time use thermo. If your stickers do then re open them in paint and re-save them this usually cuts the thermo usage down a bit but can take away the crispness of the sticker at times. Larger stickers definitely use thermo.

Some custom paint stickers may appear to use no thermo but when other custom stickers are added then you will see a jump in thermo even if all those sticker don't use any separately. Mostly only custom sticker that use lots of MM stickers will use thermo ones painted by hand use a lot less to none.

Hope these help.
  • Karpethead (Shade_seeker), zmylied and BiggiSchnupsi like this
Posted Image
Warblades Battle Arena http://lbp.me/v/gp-684
Bioshock Return to Rapture http://lbp.me/v/bpcwfz
Castle Defence RPG http://lbp.me/v/0egy-8

Killerrain13

Killerrain13

PSN Hacker

• Happy Sacks
  • 590 posts
  • LocationLittle big planet empty moon 1/4
Sweet thanks shade. ;)
Posted Image
Thanks Stickmandude for this amazing sig!

Idgo

Idgo

Swirlybird

• Happy Sacks
  • 712 posts
  • LocationThe Void
Attract-o-gel is very thermo consuming. All anomated materials are, too, and add anti-gravity tweakers to all floaty objects with the Anti-grav at 0% and dampening at 100%, glue minimally as it causes lag, make shapes as simple as possible (use corner editor to reduce verticies), don't have too many sackbots with different costumes.

Those are my tips on thermo-saving. Hope these help :)
  • Karpethead (Shade_seeker) and BiggiSchnupsi like this

cshqVHz.png

Epic signature brought to you by Schnuckio! Thanks a bunch!

LBP.me - Twitter - Tumblr

AironTheSackboy

AironTheSackboy

Hot Shot Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 417 posts
  • LocationIn the Random Land of Random
Yah! Going to try that! :D

Nomitaded:
2w3z4oi.png

Pookachoo

Pookachoo

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 670 posts
All good advice :)
Another tricky thermo trick is emitting and destroying sections of your level, as explained here: http://www.lbpcentra...stroy-Technique
  • Karpethead (Shade_seeker) likes this

Stand Small

thi766

thi766

Awesome Sack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Sackbot costumes are probably what take up most of the thermo :/ If re-use the same costume pieces for all characters but sticker them differently it saves a crazy ammount of thermo.

Also, this is probably obvious but use the least materials as possible; it helps to make most of the scenery to be made of stickers on the same materials instead of using a vast ammount of materials.. I've seen creators who made levels like entirely out of sticker panels with stickers and decorations on them and you don't really notice it when you play it..

Also i think if you keep putting the different areas of a level as far away from each other as possible (on each ends of the level), and you hang out on one part of the level, after a certain time the thermo will act as if the other end doesn't exist and go down significantly :o

Posted Image

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 544 posts
  • LocationUk
All very good points here, I hope it has given people food for thought? We all learn new tricks in lbp all the time while creating, and I believe thermo saving is one of the most important to learn, if I knew all that I knew now when I made some of my earlier levels I'm sure they would have been far more user friendly :)
LATEST LEVELS:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

........................................................ (MM picked woohoo!!)............................................

lordwarblade

lordwarblade

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAussie Land

All very good points here, I hope it has given people food for thought? We all learn new tricks in lbp all the time while creating, and I believe thermo saving is one of the most important to learn, if I knew all that I knew now when I made some of my earlier levels I'm sure they would have been far more user friendly :)

You've got that right my early Space Hulk levels use up so much thermo i had to made the intro separate but if i was to remake them now i think i could keep it to 1 level and even have two stages to select from. Though it would take ages to load :P

I managed to save four bars of thermo in my zombie levels just by minimizing the materials used. So then used up the thermo again by adding a drivable truck and new enemies.

One thing i've noticed is that logic takes up a lot more thermo than you think. When i compare things i've made in LBP2 to LBPVita which logic uses way less thermo, i have noticed that i can make twice as much logic in LBP Vita.
Hiding logic in chips does help as well as when you close the chip the thermo lowers. I figured this out in my zombie levels also.
  • EnochRoot likes this
Posted Image
Warblades Battle Arena http://lbp.me/v/gp-684
Bioshock Return to Rapture http://lbp.me/v/bpcwfz
Castle Defence RPG http://lbp.me/v/0egy-8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox