• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark

I take back everything I previously said in this thread.

Windows 8 with 'startisback' installed is pretty damn good.

haha.. I think 8.1 did some pretty good things for it too. Its still far from perfect but they at least fixed some stuff.

I'm just worried about the rumors that they might be going completely back to the old start menu, like they just gave up and didn't learn a thing from it.

They should take some inspiration from this guy: http://jay-machalani...ixing-windows-8

6IQn38i.png

FishBone

FishBone

The Jell-O man

• Honoured Sacks
  • 868 posts

Win8 is actually ok as long as you install a start-meny (and remove all microsoft bloat-ware (Internet Explorer, Media Player, etc.)).

Myself i like ClassicShell, it removes the use of the start-screen completely. So it looks and behave just like Win7.

The 8.1 update is a joke (from what i could see), they created a start-button, but it only took you back to the start-screen (metro) so it was useless (luckily it is removed by ClassicShell).

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

testing.. testing.. is this thing on?

• Administrators
  • 5,524 posts
  • LocationIreland

Win8 is actually ok as long as you install a start-meny (and remove all microsoft bloat-ware (Internet Explorer, Media Player, etc.)).

Myself i like ClassicShell, it removes the use of the start-screen completely. So it looks and behave just like Win7.

The 8.1 update is a joke (from what i could see), they created a start-button, but it only took you back to the start-screen (metro) so it was useless (luckily it is removed by ClassicShell).

I never tried original Windows 8, only started at 8.1 so I don't know of any differences.

I actually like everything about Windows  8 - except the Metro page. ClassicShell reverts too much for me. Startisback just re-adds the start menu and that's good enough for me.

Posted Image

Welcome to LittleBigNetwork!

Rpg Maker

Rpg Maker

Awesome Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 79 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I like WIndows 8. Its faster..just when it first debuted, much like Windows Vista, there was poor driver and application support. Some of the features on my HP Envy 17 did not work until a couple months later. I hear rumors that 8.1 may be coming free in April. For us creative nuggets, Project Spark is free for Windows 8 users, so that may give someone somewhere incentive on getting the operating system. 

I personally never use the start menu. I always would search in it anyway or do a "run" command. The start menu is next to useless and only serves to teach the less computer saavy. It also baffles me with the new start menu on 8.1, I never use it. Pushing the windows key is much faster than scrolling down to the bottom of the screen and its more insulting imo for people that have complained about the start menu in the original Windows 8. Almost like saying we can change it but we are not going to because we want to keep the experience different.

Although, if you right click the windows start logo, you will get somewhat of a start menu, just much uglier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox