Windows 8: should he or shouldn't he?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Whofan

Whofan

Back in full color

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,632 posts
  • Locationin front of you, hurting both your eyes and fashion sense.
I post on behalf of my father-in-law, myself and anyone else bewildered by the proliferation and constant update of windows os.

Having reached the point where he is being cajoled to update by microsoft, but not sure if it would be worth it to do so, my dad-in-law asked me if I knew anything about Windows 8. Being ignorant on the subject, I pose to any of you, who might know this crap better than I, the question put forth to me.

What do you know about Windows 8 and are there any new features/justifications for updating now apart from the low cost update he is being presented with?

Any info gained through first-hand experience would be an immeasurable help. Thanks in advance. :)
  • RobertMl, PhilipTep, sexyshoptoy and 2 others like this

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Okay I was sceptical about it until I actually got it and got used to it and as soon as you get used to it even on a computer without a touch screen pretty much all the features feels natural.

Its a matter of how open you are to the change and how willing you are to learn new ways to do old stuff.

Since I got a new computer its a bit hard for me to judge this but from what I have heard its faster than windows 7 was when it comes to starting up etc.

Menus like the task manager has also gotten an update that makes them a lot easier to understand imo.

If you got any questions I can find out.

6IQn38i.png

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

testing.. testing.. is this thing on?

• Administrators
  • 5,512 posts
  • LocationIreland
I haven't tried it, but I haven't heard good things about it.
Personally I'll stick to Windows 7 for the time being until Windows 8 gets supported by all the programs I use. Then I may try it.
  • Blueninja likes this

Posted Image

Welcome to LittleBigNetwork!

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark

I haven't tried it, but I haven't heard good things about it.
Personally I'll stick to Windows 7 for the time being until Windows 8 gets supported by all the programs I use. Then I may try it.

what exactly isn't supported? I haven't found anything myself yet.

6IQn38i.png

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

• Administrators
  • 5,512 posts
  • LocationIreland

what exactly isn't supported? I haven't found anything myself yet.

Many games for Steam don't work, and Solidworks which I need for school, I'm sure there is more but they're the only ones I checked.
I was offered a free Windows 8 ultimate code by a guy I know who works for some company that gets them but I chose to stick with Windows 7.

Posted Image

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Many games for Steam don't work, and Solidworks which I need for school, I'm sure there is more but they're the only ones I checked.
I was offered a free Windows 8 ultimate code by a guy I know who works for some company that gets them but I chose to stick with Windows 7.

the website says the 2013 version works with 64 bit windows 8 but I don't know what version you use.

6IQn38i.png

Powerspell3

Powerspell3

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCraftworld
I can tell you from experience...
IT SUCKS. The worst Windows ever, I find very confusing, and too complicated.
It looks simple, but it anything BUT simple. Don't get it, you will most likely regret it.
I had it for like a month and got so mad at the internet on it. I just re-installed Windows 7.
:)

Visit My Website!

trixel.weebly.com

sig.png

1034387.png?2406471786.png?308

You can find my badges here: Click

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark

I can tell you from experience...
IT SUCKS. The worst Windows ever, I find very confusing, and too complicated.
It looks simple, but it anything BUT simple. Don't get it, you will most likely regret it.
I had it for like a month and got so mad at the internet on it. I just re-installed Windows 7.
:)

Why do I not have these problems?

6IQn38i.png

Powerspell3

Powerspell3

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCraftworld

They aren't really problems, just my opinion that it sucks. :)

Visit My Website!

trixel.weebly.com

sig.png

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark

They aren't really problems, just my opinion that it sucks. :)

With new things come change. Try to get used to it instead of staying behind. Its actually not bad.

6IQn38i.png

Powerspell3

Powerspell3

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCraftworld

With new things come change. Try to get used to it instead of staying behind. Its actually not bad.

I have always been updated, but not anymore.
I just don't like it. :Evillaugh:

Visit My Website!

trixel.weebly.com

sig.png

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

• Administrators
  • 5,512 posts
  • LocationIreland
Tried Windows 8 on my sister laptop today, I hate it. Sticking with Windows 7 for definite.
  • Powerspell3 likes this

Posted Image

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark
You have to at least try to get used to it..

6IQn38i.png

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

• Administrators
  • 5,512 posts
  • LocationIreland

You have to at least try to get used to it..

I spent an hour on it today, no start button confused the heck out of me, I didn't like the metro menu, couldn't figure out how to search around, finding basic control settings was hard, just everything took more effort than Windows 7. I'm not the only one with this opinion, the majority of people I know who are into computers don't like Windows 8.

Posted Image

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark
But the people who like windows 8 on the other hand really likes the new features.

I barely use the metro menu personally, I got a few shortcuts to games there and a big button leading to my desktop (where I don't have a single icon).

If I need find an app I press windows or go tot he bottom left corner and just start typing to search just like in windows 7.

The control panel is just as easy to find if you know where you are supposed to find it.

6IQn38i.png

Whofan

Whofan

Back in full color

• Honoured Sacks
  • 2,632 posts
  • Locationin front of you, hurting both your eyes and fashion sense.
nice to see I sparked conversation. so what I'm getting so far is that some more research into the features is due and that it sounds like it's configured with touch screen and pads in mind?

It also sounds like cat uses it more for applications; possibly graphics and photo? And FIM uses his machine primarily for gaming and that it maybe isn't an os with hardcore gamers in mind?

Alp

Alp

Call me Marc.

• Moderators
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationDenmark

nice to see I sparked conversation. so what I'm getting so far is that some more research into the features is due and that it sounds like it's configured with touch screen and pads in mind?

It also sounds like cat uses it more for applications; possibly graphics and photo? And uses his machine primarily for gaming and that it maybe isn't an os with hardcore gamers in mind?

I use it for everything like I did with windows 7. Only the metro interface was clearly meant for touch screens but unless you fill it up with stuff it will work just fine with a mouse. I just use it for the most necessary stuff and games.

It really isn't that bad and I get what people are saying when they say they don't like it.

In some cases windows 8 is more user friendly than 7 etc. Things like the Task Manager have been completely redone to be much easier to understand and the control panel is exactly the same as in windows 7.

Another thing to consider is that the most feature rich version of 8 is cheaper than 7 ultimate.

Once you get used to shutting it down its easy enough from there.

IMO

PS: so far I have played Minecraft, Torchlight 2, Garry's Mod, Borderlands 2, Worms Revolution and other games without any problems what so ever.
  • Whofan likes this

6IQn38i.png

ClockworkDemon

ClockworkDemon

Shrek is love, Shrek is life

• Happy Sacks
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA
Windows 7 was beautiful and incredibly effective, I loved it dearly. However, I recently purchased a new laptop, and seeing as every single freaking laptop has the Windows 8 OS, it had to be one with Windows 8. While I do miss Windows 7, Windows 8 gets the job done, and not to badly. It's nowhere near a God-tier OS at alll, but it is a great OS for tablets/touchscreens. Microsoft seems to have a thing going where every other OS is complete crap (cough vista), but the ones in between are great (windows 7, xp). There's just my tidbit of knowledge from having experience with both :)
  • Whofan likes this

Posted Image

TheFloppierSack

TheFloppierSack

Awesome Sack

• Happy Sacks
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCA
I have a touchscreen computer with windows 8 installed. I can tell you I wish I just had windows 7 again, once you get used to it, it's very easy... But on the "metro" menu, there are very little settings to modify things.. That's why I'm always in desktop mode, I rarely use the menu. But anyway, windows 8 is very simple making it good for people who don't know much about computers.
  • ClockworkDemon likes this

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

• Administrators
  • 5,512 posts
  • LocationIreland

I take back everything I previously said in this thread.

Windows 8 with 'startisback' installed is pretty damn good.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox