Save... Yourself from Grief (2014 update)

Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Pookachoo

Pookachoo

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 586 posts

2014 Update: Going Digital

Make sure everything important to you is stored in a published level!

I mention backing up your work later in this article, and recently personal experience has taught me that the only way to really make sure your creations are saved is by storing them in a published level. Because of a disk drive problem in my PS3, I recently switched to the digital version of Karting. I found that the digital version creates new Save Data on the HDD, and apparently the Data from the disk version is not compatible. Since there is no way to back up or import your "profile" like in LBP2, when you go digital you're starting over. Loosing costumes and Karts is a disappointment, but loading up and finding you moon empty could be heartbreaking. The good news is that everything published on your Earth will still be there, and you can copy those levels to your moon.

Fortunately I had almost everything useful I ever made in published levels, but the things I did loose are something of a set back - not to mention a real rage inducer.

The older info:

I'd like to give a few tips about LBPKarting Create, and highlight some very important differences from LittleBigPlanet in terms of saving your work.
If you created in the Beta, then all this will be familiar. If you're deciding whether to buy the game, you might want to read this first to avoid frustration later.

Instead of Rewind and Fast Forward, you have Undo L1_button.png and Redo R1_button.png

Undo feature only applies to the particular editor you're currently using. Once you've exited that editor, you will not be able to Undo. For example: You've created basic track and decide to use the Vertical Shift tool. While you're in the Track Editor you Undo and Redo - but once you return to your Popit menu, you lose the ability to undo those changes.

Normally in LBP, when I'm going to try out some major changes to my level, I'll press Start and Save As to a new location on my moon. This becomes even more important in Karting because of the Undo limitations.

See what did there? The limitations are undue LBP%20laugh.gif

Save As feature does not exist in Create. The only way to save your level to another spot on your moon, is by returning to your Pod and using the Copy feature. Do this every time you've made progress that you don't want to risk losing before.

It takes a bit of time to keep going back to the Pod and making copies, but it also could save you the aggravation of making a non-undoable mistake right after you've achieved something brilliant.

Capture often when you're creating your own objects, don't rely entirely on level save files. I say this because I recently encountered a bug some creators may remember from beta, in which the objects in a level rearrange themselves. It sounds crazy, but it's true.

Pieces of material actually become scattered around the level, and decorations can also move in relationship to the material they were placed on.

It may help to Save from the pause menu before exiting the level, instead of simply returning to your pod and saving when prompted.

There is no Back Up Profile feature. What you can do instead, is to copy your Karting Save Data to a USB stick or other external storage. Then if needed, you can delete your Karting save data and replace it with the version backed up on your USB stick. I have tested, and found this works. You can also publish a level for storing your creations, then copy to you moon if needed. Note that you don't have to make the level copyable for other players in order to copy it yourself.
If you copy to another profile on the same PS3, everything on the moon will be deleted.
If you don't have an external storage device, I strongly recommend buying an inexpensive USB stick for backing up game save data.

The Trouble with Microchips

We know and love them from LBP2, but don't place too much trust in the Karting Microchip - like inlaws at your birthday party, Karting Microchips will overstay their welcome.

I recently built a lot of objects with Microchips holding Sounds and Effects Emitters. I found that sometimes when I place one of these objects and then later delete it, the Circuit Board from the chip will reappear after I've exited and re-loaded the level. The chip isn't there, just the circuit board - and everything on it works, so in my case I had random sounds and effects popping up in my level.

The Circuit Board cannot be deleted. It can be closed, but that doesn't get rid of it permanently. All the logic has to be deleted individually. This isn't so bad compared to other problems in Karting, but if you've got a lot of logic on a lot of unwanted Circuit Boards, it's time consuming.

To make things easier, I recommend that any large Microchips be placed on another chip. This way if you have the glitch, you can just delete the large chip off of the other chip's Circuit Board. It's much quicker than stripping away loads of logic.

And... When you've saved an object that includes a Microchip and then take that object from your popit, sometimes the wiring has disconnected itself. Most often this occurs when you have wires between two chips, but it can also happen within a single chip or between a chip and an object.

If an object you've saved has logic problems, check the wiring. I've created one object with some very simple logic and no matter how many times I redo the wiring and capture, the logic is disconnected next time I place the object.

• b-coli, Ronaldsr and ThomasBib like this

I've been to Comic-Con!

Idgo

Idgo

hnngg

• Happy Sacks
  • 710 posts
  • LocationThe Broccoli Realm
Very useful tips for when I get LBPKarting (I know I'll get it at some point, just unsure when :P )

Thanks for sharing! :D
  • Pookachoo, Awesomesauce66 and Ronaldsr like this

Posted Image

Epic signature brought to you by Schnuckio! Thanks a bunch!

Liquid_Blood_

Liquid_Blood_

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 941 posts
  • LocationThe Orb of Dreams (as the rest of the omniverse calls it)
No SAVE AS..?????!?!
Posted Image
See this is what I mean about waiting until LBPKarting is patched before spending my money on it. For cryin out loud, even MSPaint has a Save As function!!!! (So does Notepad for that matter!) Undue limitations indeed.
  • b-coli, Ryumera, Rasumii and 3 others like this

Killerrain13

Killerrain13

PSN Hacker

• Happy Sacks
  • 583 posts
  • LocationLittle big planet empty moon 1/4
Lol this game is going to fail in the next 2 weeks. :D
  • Ronaldsr likes this
Posted Image
Thanks Stickmandude for this amazing sig!

Schnuckelche

Schnuckelche

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
You've got to be kidding me.. No Save-As?
I'm with Liquid, let this game get patched up, before I spend fifty dollars on it. :D
  • Ronaldsr likes this

My Instagram

Rasumii

Rasumii

Bill Cosby's Understudy

• Moderators
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationAt Another Castle
Hopefully it'll get patched up by Christmas. I'm sure many people have already told MM about the missing of these useful options.

Using R1 and L1 to Undo and Rewind doesn't bother me that much, I'll jsut have to get used to it, although I don't know why they would switch that.
  • Ronaldsr likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

Karpethead (Shade_seeker)

Karpethead (Shade_seeker)

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 544 posts
  • LocationUk
Yet another reason for me to NOT buy it! Darn cheap lbp copy if you ask me!
  • Ryumera, Schnuckelche and Ronaldsr like this
LATEST LEVELS:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

........................................................ (MM picked woohoo!!)............................................

Pookachoo

Pookachoo

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 586 posts
Unfortunately I don't think MM has anything to do with Karting - yup, it shows. Which brings up another point, how/where are we supposed to report major bugs? There's nothing for Karting on GetSatifaction.com
  • Ryumera and Ronaldsr like this

I've been to Comic-Con!

Schnuckelche

Schnuckelche

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Media Molecule has abandoned LBPK. I wonder why.. their scared it will end up like LBP 2! Poor things.. Why should i buy a game where there are glitches, and and major bugs that i know won't be fixed? It'll ruin my appetite in the game, and gaming experience. I'll see what ends up with this game, before i quickly decide to make a move, i probably want to regret later. ;)
  • Ronaldsr likes this

My Instagram

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

testing.. testing.. is this thing on?

• Administrators
  • 5,448 posts
  • LocationIreland

Media Molecule has abandoned LBPK. I wonder why.. their scared it will end up like LBP 2! Poor things.. Why should i buy a game where there are glitches, and and major bugs that i know won't be fixed? It'll ruin my appetite in the game, and gaming experience. I'll see what ends up with this game, before i quickly decide to make a move, i probably want to regret later. ;)

United Front Games created LBPK, not Mm.
LBP2 seems perfectly fine to me, no glitches, the "poor things" comment is rude and stupid.
Also, the game is been out less than 10 days, you can't know that they won't be fixed.

I haven't bought the game, and neither have you so don't be so rude and negative towards it. Some people are obviously enjoying it.
  • Ronaldsr likes this

Posted Image

Welcome to LittleBigNetwork!

Schnuckelche

Schnuckelche

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
I didn't want to be negative and rude about anything. It's not Media Molecule's fault that the community has ended up the way it has.
Okay, I now I know who created the game. I assumed MM did because it was a 'LBP' kind of game. I called Media Molecules "poor things", for the reason that they can not do much about this broken community. Thus referring to the community, not the meaning and actual game. I didn't mention any particular factor of LBP 2, meaning I didn't say anything of the "glitches" there. I know the major ones have been patched, and the minor there don't make a difference. This is my opinion, if you think it's stupid, that's fine.

I have not bought the game, but let me note that I have participated in the Beta. Therefore I would know pretty much everything this game has to offer, without any patches made. Also, I have read many reviews on the game explaining these certain parts of the game which could use some patching. Yes many people are enjoying it, but many aren't as well. Hence I gave my opinion on most of the things experienced.

If I am not the only one here who doesn't seem to like this game, but does explain reasoning, why am I to be pointed out? There were two, three other members in this thread showing that there's absolutely no value in this game.

It's okay if you don't agree with my opinion about the game, i am not posting for any one to particularly, agree with me. I rather tell what I think of the game, rather then lie and go up and on the top about how 'Amazing' LBPK is. I didn't want to offend any one, and discourage buying and business with their corporation. Sorry if it came out that way.

My Instagram

FlyingIrishMan

FlyingIrishMan

testing.. testing.. is this thing on?

• Administrators
  • 5,448 posts
  • LocationIreland

I didn't want to be negative and rude about anything. It's not Media Molecule's fault that the community has ended up the way it has.
Okay, I now I know who created the game. I assumed MM did because it was a 'LBP' kind of game. I called Media Molecules "poor things", for the reason that they can not do much about this broken community. Thus referring to the community, not the meaning and actual game. I didn't mention any particular factor of LBP 2, meaning I didn't say anything of the "glitches" there. I know the major ones have been patched, and the minor there don't make a difference. This is my opinion, if you think it's stupid, that's fine.

I have not bought the game, but let me note that I have participated in the Beta. Therefore I would know pretty much everything this game has to offer, without any patches made. Also, I have read many reviews on the game explaining these certain parts of the game which could use some patching. Yes many people are enjoying it, but many aren't as well. Hence I gave my opinion on most of the things experienced.

If I am not the only one here who doesn't seem to like this game, but does explain reasoning, why am I to be pointed out? There were two, three other members in this thread showing that there's absolutely no value in this game.

It's okay if you don't agree with my opinion about the game, i am not posting for any one to particularly, agree with me. I rather tell what I think of the game, rather then lie and go up and on the top about how 'Amazing' LBPK is. I didn't want to offend any one, and discourage buying and business with their corporation. Sorry if it came out that way.

A beta and a full game are not the same thing, a beta is for purpose of testing not for reviewing the game.

Your the only person to insult the creators and claim false facts.

And you don't have to lie about the game and say its amazing. Just play it before you go around saying that its terrible and implying that the developers are also bad.
  • Ronaldsr likes this

Posted Image

Welcome to LittleBigNetwork!

Schnuckelche

Schnuckelche

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

A beta and a full game are not the same thing, a beta is for purpose of testing not for reviewing the game.

Your the only person to insult the creators and claim false facts.

And you don't have to lie about the game and say its amazing. Just play it before you go around saying that its terrible and implying that the developers are also bad.

The beta's purpose is for testing, and observing the individual game. If you like it, then you can consider buying the full game. It has pretty much every feature of the full game. Except a lack of community levels, some disabled features etc. I gave reasoning to why I spoke negative of this. I didn't like the fact that you you can't save as, or the glitches which do appear to be permanent. I'm judging the game based on my experience in the beta, and other facts that come along exposed in the process. Not the individual creators, I know nothing about them.

"Darn cheap copy of lbp if you ask me!" That was also posted in this thread. Didn't buy it, and didn't like it. Seems like I am the only highlighted person here in this thread who simply has to watch the way I share my opinions. I didn't even insult the game, having looked at what I just mentioned above. Let me also include the person whom mentions: "this game is going to fail in the next 2 weeks :D"

There should be no problems here whatsoever ever regarding negative opinions and perspectives of the game, or the developers for that part. No one cursed at the game, or the creators. I didn't imply anything about UFG, I didn't know them. I do not like MM, but I like their game, simply something that is going to have to be dealt with.
  • Ryumera, Karpethead (Shade_seeker) and Ronaldsr like this

My Instagram

Pookachoo

Pookachoo

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 586 posts
A little joking around is all well and good, but please - could the off topic short essays go somewhere else, such a a blog? :Neutral:
  • Schnuckelche and Ronaldsr like this

I've been to Comic-Con!

the sexy sack man

the sexy sack man

sexy ting yeah

• Moderators
  • 3,586 posts
Actually, a Beta is a form of Market Research, which is used as FIM said to get improvements from previous customers. Hence the purpose of there being a code, and its not just a Download which you can get from PS store.
  • Schnuckelche and Ronaldsr like this

Tj4aFhl.png

AwardBannercopy.png

'Staff member of the year'- Stop in the name of the sexy sack man! 
Dr Kandatto said:

"If I give it a twist" Dave Grahl is obviously talking about SSM's Nipples

Schnuckelche

Schnuckelche

Royal Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

A little joking around is all well and good, but please - could the off topic short essays go somewhere else, such a a blog? :Neutral:

Yes, sorry for going a little off. :P Your thread was based on a few tutorials to "Save you from grief" and turned out to be feedback for the game. I won't reply with any more feedback here.

Sorry again. :Neutral:
  • the sexy sack man and Ronaldsr like this

My Instagram

Pookachoo

Pookachoo

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 586 posts
Added an update, top of the OP - very important info about backing up your game save data.
  • Smurfetta5683 and Ronaldsr like this

I've been to Comic-Con!

Ryumera

Ryumera

The One and Only

• Moderators
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUSA
no Save As... are you serious... That must make creators either very tedious while creating.... or risk takers. I personally didn't like LBPK's create in the beta (and before anyone gets on me saying "Because it was the beta"), it wasn't. I just wasn't fond of the whole create mode setup and not very fond of the tools and the fun factor wasn't really there for me like LBP2's create mode.
  • Pookachoo and Ronaldsr like this

Pookachoo

Pookachoo

Restless Sack

• Honoured Sacks
  • 586 posts
I spent most of my time with the beta in create, and I don't really see a big change with the full game - still doesn't feel like LBP.

I've been to Comic-Con!

Amazingfirewheel

Amazingfirewheel

Awesome Sack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

No Save As...

:@@

They got to be kidding me, No they must be kidding me.
This is why IGN give this game 5.0, How sad can creators be without a Save As function to start their Projects, Levels, ect.

Even LBP1, 2, PSP, And PSVita has the SAVE AS function...

But this, No this forgot...

• Ronaldsr likes this

I have moved to "Tikaki-MooMoo" 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox