What makes a good level?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Pinchanzee

Pinchanzee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
Just wondering what you guys tend to look for in your levels, what really grabs your attention and pushes that level up to the 5th star.
  • ramkibainu and cyrusali like this

Posted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Entertaining Websites

Dubster

Dubster

Royal Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
When I want a good level, I'm looking for the following:

Visuals: A plain level without even a try to decorate isn't always fun. I would love to have a good atmosphere in the level. If it lacks this plus one of my other requirements, I'm probably out of the level already.

Diversity: A level needs to have some diversity. A level where you do the same puzzle or same challenge all over again is not fun. Such levels shall not exist. I would recommend to anyone to ever use the same kind of challenge only once.

Story: Having a good story is always a plus, in my opinion, though a level can be good without one. One can expect higher ratings from me if it has a good one, though.

Gameplay Strategy: Once again, it's a plus. This especially is something you need for bosses. If you just stand there shooting your paintinator from a spot where the boss can't reach you, it isn't fun. Or if you use the paintinator at all, unless it really needs a paintinator. One can try combine the paintinator to make the enemy vulnerable to something else, though. Again, this can bring it to higher ratings.

Originality: This is a huge rating chooser. If the level in question isn't original, it's a huge downside. One can easily expect less than two stars if it is without originality.

I will kill whoever copies more bomb survivals without making them unique!

Challenge: This is something I like. A level that everyone can complete isn't fun unless you have some funny friends who just love to fool around on the level, so I'd set this in between. It depends what you are looking for. Otherwise, I am usually going as lowest for a bit above Bunker-acing difficulty, which isn't all too hard ;)

Well, that pretty much covers it, thanks for reading ;)

Edited by Dubster, 26 July 2009 - 08:28 PM.

• ramkibainu and cyrusali like this
PSN: Bibbienet (Add me if you want to play during weekends.)

*Feels lonely due to all friends going to the LBP2 beta*

noemiid

noemiid

Royal Sack

• Sack Stars
  • 2,177 posts
  • LocationValley Mills, Texas
good lvls to me are detailed lvls with a good story, action, and puzzles that arent to easy or to hard
  • cyrusali likes this
http://www.littlebig...80&d=1269197780

Posted Image
love Noe? Give him an internet!

Pinchanzee

Pinchanzee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
I agree with you on so many levels Dubster! Specially boss fights as standing holding a paintinator...

Entertaining Websites

DRLONG

DRLONG

Restless Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

I agree with you on so many levels Dubster! Specially boss fights as standing holding a paintinator...

Ya u can kinda do that on my alien boss in the Space Station:( however I tried to have somewhat of a unique style to killing it by having to weaken the ship and then pulling a lever which activates a giant laser to blow his ship to smithereens!:D MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!:P
good times...goooooood times....
Posted Image

Mrgenji

Mrgenji

Royal Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Diversity: A level needs to have some diversity. A level where you do the same puzzle or same challenge all over again is not fun. Such levels shall not exist. I would recommend to anyone to ever use the same kind of challenge only once.

Whoops

A level without that bloody paintinator is always nice. That gun seems to have sucked everyones creativity when it comes to bosses.

Pinchanzee

Pinchanzee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
Interesting... I thought people liked Platforming... That's good...
Hopefully this poll could turn into a pretty nice graph of the best things to focus on, thanks for all the input guys

Entertaining Websites

FishBone

FishBone

The Jell-O man

• Honoured Sacks
  • 868 posts
I voted for everything except automation and platforming.
Not that it's a bad thing, but i don't think those are what makes the level good.

Automation/cutscene is a nice thing, but if the rest of the level is bad this won't help.

Pinchanzee

Pinchanzee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Automation/cutscene is a nice thing, but if the rest of the level is bad this won't help.

So the kind of thing you squeeze in at the end after you've finished all the juicy stuff?
I really thought more people would've chosen that..

Entertaining Websites

sackboy096

sackboy096

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I voted for Visual, Gameplay Strategy, Diversity, and Challenge:)

FishBone

FishBone

The Jell-O man

• Honoured Sacks
  • 868 posts

So the kind of thing you squeeze in at the end after you've finished all the juicy stuff?
I really thought more people would've chosen that..

No of course not.
I like it, but it's not the reason for the level being good.
But it might be part of the reason.

Dubster

Dubster

Royal Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
Speaking of intros, if you really want an intro, try to make something that will fit into the story, as seen in the Royal Love Letter, part 1, or AFP's snuck-in intro on LBL #3. An intro also looks better when you have put some time into it.
What I thought you meant with automation at first was "A level that plays itself" :P

Pinchanzee

Pinchanzee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
Should've made an Intro option rather automation, thanks for all the input guys :) Good to get everyones opinions

Entertaining Websites

Max Artist

Max Artist

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
I love a level with a great story and a cliffhanger at the end with a diversity of challenges, i voted for diversity.
Posted Image
Levels: Tundra of Frozen blood Intro and 1st level:
Stories: Rogue Reject. Wanna role? Go Here! Chapter 2 is out!
I need more roles before i can go on!

Elsa

Elsa

Royal Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
I just like a good fun level with a good story behind it, as long as their is a great story to a level I'm too fussed on anything else
Posted Image
LBP Rangers Click to Pick or Request role you can also view current roles (Last Updated 29/5/2011)
Click for latest LBP Rangers Spa, Elsa and Blueninja enter an alternate reality while searching for the evil Mr. Hamster (Last Updated 27/9/2011)

LBPR Story Index
(Last Updated 28/9/2011)

Frank_Burns

Frank_Burns

Hot Shot Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
Well I need A atmosphere. On all my level there's atmosphere. On all good levels there is a atmosphere. What i mean by that is Decoration and Visuals. On My Dead Space Level (In production), You can definitely tell what I'm trying to achive. On All good levels You should be able to go "Oh, i know whats gonna be the theme." That is why the intro is important. A bad intro means a level where you instantly quit. And a change in theme gets me a bit confused unless you have a little Video Or cut scene, it Is always important. And well some one said i like cliffhangers! And well my new level Has one! (Alone Team Part ) And poorjacks Mitholics 2 Sympathy Of Sorrows (Part 1) Has A GREAT Cliffhanger. Sorry that was off topic. Well Yeah That is it. in my new level I tried to put everything into it. So yeah. God im off topic.

UltraRazpacho

UltraRazpacho

The Head Honcho of Tomfoolery

• Honoured Sacks
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Story has always been a big thing for me, and orignality :) Im also sick of every f***ing boss battle using that f***ing paintgun >:[

Edited by UltraRazpacho, 28 July 2009 - 04:34 AM.

EM-5

EM-5

Restless Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
Originality, Story, Challenge, Visuals and definitely (not on there) FUN! :D

A level that everyone can complete isn't fun unless you have some funny friends who just love to fool around on the level

I am guilty! :P

I am usually going as lowest for a bit above Bunker-acing difficulty, which isn't all too hard

Are you kidding me? I aced the Bunker on my first try at acing it... :) (got lucky i guess)

Edited by EM-5, 28 July 2009 - 04:58 AM.

Dubster

Dubster

Royal Sack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Originality, Story, Challenge, Visuals and definitely (not on there) FUN! :D

I am guilty! :P

Are you kidding me? I aced the Bunker on my first try at acing it... :) (got lucky i guess)

The only issue I have ever had with the Bunker is the damned Spinning Wheel of Death, Doom and Destruction, as I dub it. Also, mind you I completed the story itself within just 2 days, running through the levels, and went onto acing the bunker just a few days later. With only 5 days experience with LBP, I managed to ace it after a while. Besides, my sister ALWAYS wanted to join, and she failed miserably all the time at "SWDDD" :P

Now I can ace it with ease, no longer any problems ;) Might aswell do an ace speedrun, or w/e.

Pinchanzee

Pinchanzee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

I'm sure you did.

Seems originality suddenly spiralled to the top :)
So before even starting a level, ask yourself "is my idea original?" maybe Search through existing levels and check if there's anything like it.

Entertaining Websites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB skins by Skinbox